Saturday, October 08, 2005

Word of the Day: tabula rasa

tabula rasa • \tab-yuh-luh-RAH-zuh\ • noun
1 : the mind in its hypothetical primary blank or empty state before receiving outside impressions
*2 : something existing in its original pristine state

At first I chose this word because I like saying it, but then I realized that wasn't enough of a reason to use it as a word of the day. So then I considered how wonderful it would be if we had a reset button. Yes, for ourselves. I was staying with my Tucson friends at their friends' house in Great Falls on Friday night. Sundee and I baked a pie in the oven. A normal, everyday (well maybe not everyday seeing as how I don't usually just have the stuff to make a pie sitting around) occurance. However, this time was special because when we set the timer, it broke. I should preface that remark with the fact that this house is a million dollar (or more) monstrosity (if I call it a house, that would mean that I live in a shoebox). Sundee said the neighbors further down the street where the "real expensive" houses are call these guys the white trash of Great Falls (again, I'm not too keen on what that makes me).

Anyway...back to the oven story. So the timer breaks and instead of just shutting off, it proceeds to beep annoyingly, over and over until we all want to kill ourselves. The owners of the house were out of town, so now it appears that we ruined their oven, and while Eric was contemplating taking apart the mechanical parts, Sundee and I were plotting a scheme to shatter it with a sledge hammer.

The only point of that story was to give significance to the word of the day because that annoying timer made me consider how wonderful it would be if we each had our own personal reset button. No more beeping noises, no more broken timers, no more plots to destroy appliances.

And while we're on the subject, I slept in the movie theater last night. I'm not exaggerating. I now aspire to have my own in-house movie theater, complete with three tiers of stadium seating with light runners along the stairs and 20 leather recliners all lined up to watch the protector screen. The only sad part was that they owned every episode of Stargate and I think that is negligent misuse of a home theater.

No comments: