Monday, October 03, 2005

Word of the Day: Cavil

cavil \KAV-uhl\, intransitive verb:
To raise trivial or frivolous objections; to find fault without good reason.

So I joined a new writing group this weekend. I spent 3 hours with this strange published and prolific group of five misfits (as writers usually are), and in the end I came out with a huge contempt for writing groups and not much else.

One of the guys in the group had written a short story which we had to *read aloud* in the group because it was sent through email as an attachment that no one but me could access. So I had the lovely experience of reading it twice. The story, in short, was about a guy who orders a prostitute to give him an orgasm at the same time that he shoots himself with a gun. He dies and the prositute strangely stays in the hotel room and pleasures herself with the gun. Then some security guards arrive and rape her. I'm sorry, did I miss something? Do people actually read this stuff?

WE READ THAT ALOUD!

Following that excrutiating hour, we discussed my story, which was promptly picked apart in full and cavil detail. Now, I've had a few people read the first few chapters and all have said it's a pretty good start. Greg said I should give less detail, let the reader figure it out for himself. I tend to agree with him on this point. Giving away too much, or dumbing it down for the reader is never good. I have a weakness in this area. However, smut guy suggested that I be explicit with the reader (shocker coming from him) and go so far as to even divulge the contents of the protagonist's shoulder bag. WHAT?? You don't need to know that she carries lipstick, a tampon and a half-eaten roll of lifesavers.

Anyway, then smut guy proceeded to tell me that I should know he's going to steal my idea. I laughed. He said, "You're laughing, but I'm serious." First rule of fight club: DO NOT STEAL OTHER WRITERS IDEAS.

2 comments:

timoni said...

Ew is right. That guy is totally wacked.

But even more wacked was the "I'm going to steal your idea" line. Not only is it totally unethical, but it's also incredibly conceited. It's like he's saying you don't have the writing skills he does. p s y c h o.

Laura said...

To make it even worse -- smut guy has a wife and children. Ew. Imagine being that guy's wife. I'd be a little disturbed if this was what was going through my husband's mind.