Sunday, October 23, 2005

Word of the Day: Absence

ab·sence ( P )
n.
1. The state of being away.
2. The time during which one is away.
3. Lack; want: an absence of leadership.
4. The state of being absent-minded; inattentiveness: absence of mind.

Since she is off frolicking through the Holyland, I will be updating Laura's blog in her absence. So don't fret adoring fans of Laura - for seeing as I am in essence her mini-me, you'll hardly even notice that Laura's gone.

This is the longest period of time Laura and I will have been apart for over a year. We spend about 40-60 hours a week together - that's more than many married couples! Actually, I suspect the reason Laura is trusting me with her blog is because she knows I need something to do to fill the empty spaces in my calendar while she is away.

I'm watching CNN's non-stop hurricane coverage and they are interviewing some church goers in the Keys who are refusing to evacuate. And here's why: some nun built them a statue in 1922 (or something like that) and the nun said as long as the statue stands, the town will not suffer a direct hit from a hurricane. So a reporter asks this woman if she believes if the statue will protect you from hurricanes, and she says "yes. Every church throughout the country should put up a statue and there would be no hurricanes."

Well, that settles that. Tomorrow I'm quitting my job, taking my Crown Victoria over to Home Depot to load up on uh, statue making supplies, and hitting the road for my "End All Hurricanes" campaign. Who's with me?

Here's some Good But Not Good News: tropical storm Alpha formed today. I realize that hurricanes = bad. But I'm kind of excited about the new record in number of storms!

1 comment:

timoni said...

Hooray, you're initiated! Awesome.

I'm with you on making the statue. I've got paint and probably some leftover sequins.

I'm curious: let's say the protection extends out over, hm, like a square mile from each statue. Could we theoretically protect the entire country from hurricanes??