Saturday, October 29, 2005

Word of the Day: Dowry

dow·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dour)n. pl. dow·ries
Money or property brought by a bride to her husband at marriage. Also called dower.
A sum of money required of a postulant at a convent.
A natural endowment or gift; a talent.

I had an interesting discussion about dowries while hanging out at an Arabic school today. (Side note: if you're interested in learning Arabic, I can hook you up.) Why is it that people look down upon Middle Eastern and other cultures that still believe in brides bringing a dowry with them into a marriage? Cause really, how is that any different than the American standard of the bride's family paying for the whole show? Isn't the statement "hey, we'll foot the bill for dinner and a band" the same as saying "here's our dowry?"

One day, when I have oodles of free time on my hands (so that'll be Monday I guess) I'll have to research the whole wedding thing. At what point in humans evolution process did celebrating a marriage become throwing away lifes savings for a big fancy party?

I'm sitting in a cofee shop while writing this, so I feel like a real blogger now! Let's hope I don't spill my latte, cause my laptop isn't insured for things like that.

No comments: