Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Uh-oh. I'm going to die of cancer.

Scientists Finding Out What Losing Sleep Does to a Body

I decided to read the Wash Post Health chat in my boredom today, just before I almost fell asleep at my desk, but now I see that was not a wise decision. Now not only do I speculate that my serious lack of sleep is harmful in some way, I have proof that I will someday die of cancer, or obesity or even heart disease. (I'm going to rule out obesity for obvious reasons).

My mother always tells me how horrible it is that I don't get enough sleep. My response to her: "There isn't time in the day to accomplish everything, so I have to borrow from the night". If I was a morning person, I doubt this would be an issue, but I do some of my best writing in the middle of the night when all the stupid noises, such as that guy who whistles all day long at his desk that is 15 feet from mine, are gone and I can think and breathe in pure silence.

According to the Wash Post article, I'm pretty much out of luck:
"... not sleeping enough or being awake in the wee hours runs counter to the body's internal clock, throwing a host of basic bodily functions out of sync."

Then there's this prediction, which is rather odd, seeing as how everyone must die sooner or later...
...[a study] found people who slept the least appeared to be significantly more likely to die.

I read a book that said every hour you sleep before midnight is worth two hours of after midnight sleep. Too bad I never go to bed that early. I'm missing out on quality sleep.

And then there are vivid dreams. Does everyone have incredibly vivid dreams like I do? I have the most insane dreams and they're usually in high definition color. What is the significance of a bright red truck that turns into a motorcycle? I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was riding a rollercoaster with a friend and we didn't realize we didn't have seatbelts or anything holding us in until we went upside down and he was dumped out of the bucket to plummet 300 feet to the ground while I watched in horror.

1 comment:

timoni said...

I have really vivid dreams, too. And I think that whole "dreaming in black and white" thing is a joke. I don't know anybody who only dreams in black and white.

Here is a space for you to write away from home:

http://www.paragraphny.com/space/

Unfortunately it is in NYC.