Thursday, October 13, 2005

Word of the Day: Starveling

starveling \STARV-ling\, noun:
One who is thin from lack of food, or who is starving or being starved.
Update: adj. Starving. Poor in quality; inadequate.

I can't believe this is an actual word. I'm adding this to my daily vocabulary.

I was seriously starveling for progress on my book in the past few weeks. I keep trying to write from home and that just never works. I end up doing laundry or vacuuming or, well, just about anything that doesn't involve putting words on paper. Tonight, as I was slowly sliding off my cloud from the weekend, I trekked it back to Common Grounds and endured the deafening music in order to get back to the root of the story. And what do you know, it worked. I hear it again. Words poured out, and I'm not surprised because they've been cooped up in there for weeks.

Do the words and the cloud have a connection?

Update: If anyone has anything interesting, like a cool word, phrase or name, they would like added to my book, post it here and I'll do my best to include it. It'll be a cool challenge to fit it in somewhere and when it's published you'll be able to say you contributed! But no royalties! I have to draw the line somewhere.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Actually, since you pointed it out, Dictionary.com says the word can be used also as an adjective, which is how I prefer to use it, personally, because I think it sounds silly as a noun. I'll revise my original post to reflect the adj use. Thanks for the "sermon" Pastor Kim.

adj.
Starving.
Poor in quality; inadequate.