Sunday, October 02, 2005

Word of the Day: Autumn

And just how did it get to be fall already? I can't believe it's October. The chill in the air hints at the fact that winter is quickly approaching. The sweet smell of apples lingers even while grocery stores and farms start selling pumpkins and nine varieties of squash. Incredible.

My favorite things about fall are apple picking (which I did this weekend in Maryland with Dawn and Michelle -- this was our third year!) roasting pumpkin seeds, driving down Skyline Drive to see the leaves, and the moist chill that holds the faint scent of damp leaves and dewy grass.

Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter." ~Carol Bishop Hipps

2 comments:

timoni said...

Autumn is the best! Actually I like pretty much every season at the beginning of it, but autumn seems remarkably wonderful right now. The weather is perfect and everything.

And: eggnog lattes. <3

Laura said...

I love hot chocolate. And I hate leaving work when it's dark out.