Saturday, December 24, 2005

Word of the Day: Sarcasm

sar·casm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)n.
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
The use of sarcasm.

I had an entry planned to explain why this is my word of the day. It was going to be all about how I think that having a sense of sarcasm is an important. Using sarcasm shows your intelligence by being able to take a serious set of words and twist them around. Sarcasm also shows your ability to laugh at life, to not take everything so seriously.

But then, I read the actual definition of the word and it's made me rethink things. I never really considered sarcasm to be used as a true intent to wound. Yes, I am incredibly sarcastic, but I mean to be funny. I don't mean to be insulting or condescending. And I don't think I'm alone in that thinking. It's time we redefine sarcasm!

Here's a fun holiday article for those looking to learn more about Hannukah (and yes, it's a bit "sarcastic" as well) Click here.

On an unrelated note, my S key keeps getting stuck. Why couldn't this happen to the letter X instead?

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ah yes, my favorite word. Sarcasm. I never mean it to be hurtful either. It's really rather funny. I suppose that's why we're friends Michelle.

My keys aren't sticking, but most of the letter have worn off my keyboard. Too much typing going on here I suppose. But the M, L, S, E, H and N are all gone.

Keep up the good work Michelle. Be back on Tuesday!

timoni said...

I agree that we need to redefine sarcasm. I hate how people seem to ignore that English is a living language. Of course you can't have words mean anything you want, or it'd all be gibberish, but if EVERYBODY in the English-speaknig world is using "sarcasm" in a context other than the dictionary definition, it's time to change the dictionary definition. Hell-o, Webster's.

This is why user-edited resources (like Wikipedia or the Urban Dictionary) are so handy; they can immediately provide a proper context for common words. There's no waiting for the next edition, which--considering how fast internet memes move--is really quite impractical.

timoni said...

Also: they really need to revisit "irony". Nobody uses it in the old context anymore.