Thursday, July 28, 2005

Word of the Day: Conundrum

After the posting of my first blog entry yesterday, I begged feedback from my brilliant coworker and fellow bloggers on what the next topic of discussion should be. That put me in a bit of a cunundrum (2b) because everyone wants something different. So today's word of the day will be Conundrum.

1 : a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun 2 a : a question or problem having only a conjectural answer b : an intricate and difficult problem

My biggest conundrum (1) at this time is the fact that I have a million people pulling me in a million different directions. I know that happens to everyone, so I won't complain about it here, but at some point I wish everyone would confer and start pulling in the same direction.

I start a new writing group this weekend. I'm really looking forward to the feedback on my book, but I am not looking forward to reading everyone else's bad writing. (I am not above admitting that my own work is similarly bad). This conundrum falls under category 2a (question or problem having only a conjectural answer). I looked up the word conjectural (because who knows what that means?) and found it to be highly appropriate in this situation. [To infer from inconclusive evidence; guess.] I am guessing that everyone else's work is bad, based on inconclusive evidence.

Why doesn't anyone want to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with me? My coworker suggested I see the movie by myself, but how big a loser do I want to admit I am?

Stay tuned for a discussion on the intricate differences between "gullible" and "naive".

1 comment:

timoni said...

I totally want to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" again, so, sometime next week?

I must admit my least favorite part of being in any writing group is having to read other people's writing. Ugh.