Friday, January 19, 2007

Word of the Day: Ramen

I feel horrible about my neglect. I meant to blog about this last week and with the craziness of selling my condo and finding a new place to live, I neglected the Noodle Guy. A few weeks ago, the man who invented instant ramen noodles died. His name was Momofuku Ando. And can we all agree he's the most brilliant man to ever live? What would many of us have ever done without ramen noodles? Two thirds of all college students would die of hunger, refusing to cook anything that required more than hot water and two minutes worth of effort. My dad still uses ramen to supplement his own cooking -- which usually includes noodles, the flavor packet, salsa and some Franks Red Hot sauce. I personally use ramen noodles to make oriental cabbage salad. I crumble the noodles into the coleslaw, and if I didn't have the chicken seasoning packet how would I make the dressing? Thank you, Mr. Ando, for your unmistakable contribution to society.

Ramen noodles, by contrast, are a dish of effortless purity. Like the egg, or tea, they attain a state of grace through a marriage with nothing but hot water. After three minutes in a yellow bath, the noodles soften. The pebbly peas and carrot chips turn practically lifelike. A near-weightless assemblage of plastic and foam is transformed into something any college student will recognize as food, for as little as 20 cents a serving. The Whole Story

No comments: