Monday, January 22, 2007

Word of the Day: Censure

1. To find fault with and condemn as wrong; to blame; to criticize severely.
2. To express official disapproval of.

Recent census data shows that for the first time, more women are unmarried than married. Not only is the divorce rate skyrocketing, the number of women choosing not to marry at all has risen, which indicates a major change in societal norms.

One article seems to think that women are now more critical than ever of our mates. Men aren't bringing home the "bacon" as much as they were before -- in many cases the woman is now the breadwinner of the family -- and men are not contributing as much as a woman expects. So us women have decided we don't need men afterall! Or is it really that we're just too critical?

I've always thought I have way too high a standard for other people. I am doubtlessly too critical of men I date. Not because I think he needs to be perfect -- because I am far from perfect myself -- but because he is ultimately a reflection of me, and if I wouldn't allow myself to behave that way, why would I want my mate to behave that way? He doesn't have to be perfect, but his normal behavior has to be fairly similar to my own or we're not going to get along. And since I no longer have to rely on another human being to make a living, or maintain my standard of living, I have the ability to be very selective. And if I never find him, that's okay too. Being single isn't the worst thing in the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genesis 24 is the only way this works. It takes a very very mature Christian to understand this; one with very keen sense of discernment. Very few people who claim to be Christian have this sense. Too many people who claim to be Christian doing it the wrong way - brainwashed by society and failing at the same societal rate as a result. Plenty of good information available on this but most Christians would rather get their advice from the newspaper or magazines - and that's unacceptable.

Cassie said...

Amen Laura! Now if we can just convince smug marrieds that it is ok to be single and we aren't broken just because we don't have a significant other, then that would be a momentus occasion.

Anonymous said...

Women are becoming more like men. That's the biggest change. Men don't want to marry men, they want to marry women! So why get married, again?

Brad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad said...

Just to clarify, by any reasonable measure, more women are married than men. The referenced study considers any female over 14 a woman, and even then finds over 51% of women are married. The extra 2% was arrived at by relabeling any married woman with husband not present (such as those serving overseas in the military) as unmarried. The study also clumps all widows with the unmarried. According to 2005 census data, 73% of all women over the age of 30 either are or have been married.
Anyway, here's the article
Townhall.com