Friday, February 02, 2007

Word of the Day: Pupil

I've decided to get lasik surgery finally, after many years of people telling me how wonderful it is to see without the aid of glasses or contacts. I am currently wearing my glasses and wishing I could see anything outside the small 1 inch frames. I can't even eat with my glasses on because at this angle, only half the food is clear enough to identify. So, it's time. I went to the pre-op consultation yesterday to learn whether I'd be a good candidate, and while I am at no great risk of problems, I did learn one interesting fact about my eyes. They are freakishly large.

Consider this statement " Under fluorescent lighting, normal pupil sizes ranged from 2.6 mm to 5 mm. In brighter lighting, normal pupil sizes ranged from 1.9 mm to 3.6 mm." In normal light, my pupils range from 7 to 8 mm. So when dilated, you can imagine how freakish my eyes look. After receiving the dilating eye drops, the doctor measured my pupils at 8.7 mm. That's almost twice the size of a normal human eye! Now I'm worried that my abnormally sized eyes and my insanely sensitive hearing might indicate that I'm a a super hero waiting to discover her true powers, or I'm just a circus act waiting to happen.

1 comment:

timoni said...

Weird! I always think of you as having really big and childlike eyes, so that's probably why. I remember reading once that the larger you make pupils, the younger someone seems (in this case, an article about Sesame Street puppets).