Friday, December 15, 2006

Word of the Day: Homemade

home·made
1. made or prepared at home, locally, or by the maker's own efforts

I have been to four Christmas parties this week. For each I have made some incredibly involved appetizer or food dish, prepared entirely from scratch with my own hands -- very homemade -- and might I add, delicious. But I've come to realize that no one cares if you bring something homemade or if you stop by the store for some cheese and crackers. As long as the food is edible, they will eat it, and they don't care if you slaved over it for approximately 2 seconds in the line at Giant, or if you lovingly prepared it over the course of five hours at home. Therefore, I have decided to no longer make things at home for public consumption at parties where no one cares. Sorry everyone -- no more chili cheese bread, ginger beef wraps, chocolate kahlua triffle. No more.

Merry Christmas!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't make it to four Christmas parties (at least not yet), and I keep my baking for company down to once or twice a month. But I enjoy creating, and it's just easier to make a cake than a skyscraper. So for me, if somebody likes my cookies just as much as they like the Oreos, than I enjoy it more because I can take pride in that.